Friday, April 18, 2008

Today's Work on the Site

I activated the discussion forums today. They seemed to work quite well after some trials and tribulations. This is an essential piece of the site because it enables the registered users to collabarate and upload material.

I also uploaded the video and audio files I received on Tuesday. I'm really not too happy with the time it takes for these items to download for viewing. An alternative would be to submit all of the videos to YouTube and then use the streaming video instead which seems to work much faster. I'm not really sure I want to change anything just yet.

Lastly, there was much ire placed upon the uploading of the 360° image of the U's Mall. I could not upload it to the component we are currently using because it does not recognize the .mov format. The alternate files (.mpg, .avi, etc) could be uploaded, but I could not convert the 360° image to any of these files without losing the features essential to this media. I eventually just uploaded the file to my personal server space and linked it into the menu. I could have changed the component to something that reads .mov files, but the truth is that after we complete this for a grade, Brant will use this site and will not need this class assignment that really has nothing to do with the site, so where it is at now is fine.

No comments: