Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Cool stuff

It's amazing what you can accomplish when you set your mind to it! I called my parents when I got home because they live within the Leech Lake Reservation and they have somewhat all-access to the Cass County Museum, which has a wonderful collection of Ojibwe art. My dad is going to stop by there and hopefully take some pictures and talk to the curator, who is a font of knowledge of all sorts of Native things. After asking about all of that, I thought maybe I should tell them a little about the project and both of them exclaimed, "snow snakes!" like I'd just told them they won a million dollars. Turns out that my dad has made a number of them and conducted tournaments as a Boy Scout leader. So he's going to write up the direction on how to make them (not sure if they kids will be able to do it - depends on whether they're able to use a skill saw and whether they would have access to that...he suggests having them made, but we'll see) and send those to me. It seemed like that would be way better coming from someone who has done it before. My mom is going to talk to the Indian Ed department at Walker-Hackensack-Akeley tomorrow when she subs, so maybe she can get something from them. Once you get my mom going on something, she delivers results. Trust me.

So they're on a mission and I am working on the lessons I decided I'd be responsible for. It is going to be a little history, a little sports, a little art, some shop class and who knows what else.

Allison

No comments: