Sunday, March 2, 2008

Another Joomla Experience

Yesterday (3/1/08), I had quite a day with Joomla. I wanted to get a front page up on the site and ended up screwing up the whole site. I went directly into the HTML of the template and found the main frame and replaced it with a front page. This was obviously a mistake since every link was then sending me to the same frame with my new front page. Since I was unaware of how to get the site to what I wanted, I thought that it would best to return the page to it's original state, but alas, I had erased all of that code and had no idea how to repair it. After much grief and many experiments, my solution was to download the template that was used from its original source and extract the missing code and pasting it back into the template we are currently using. This took me hours to do and the results were that the site was back to its original state, but in the process of trying to find solutions to my dilemma, I learned so much more about Joomla and it's functions. So in retrospect, I would warn: Do not mess with the html code for the template! But I would also encourage everyone to dive in and make mistakes because you will learn a great deal about Joomla that way.

1 comment:

snowsnakes said...

Wow! I'm so impressed! We're all really happy you decided to join our group! The site looks good and the links are great, but I agree that we need to hammer out what our sections are going to be and what sort of content we're going to have. I think Brant's visit up north should help us somewhat and maybe we can all meet on Tuesday instead of having class and work some of this out.